Friday, July 25, 2008

Travel problems....

There are some things they don't tell you about in guide books, or phrase books.

Imagine you are in a country where you don't speak the language, maybe enough to order a coffee, but that's all. Any language, Italian, French, Spanish even Chinese.

Now imagine you find something crawling on your body, you have no idea what it is. Go to the chemists and try to explain that you think you have crabs, in the foreign language.

Well, we get all sorts in the shop and today I got an Italian lady trying to explain what she thought she had, in a language she had the barest grasp of. Obviously the language of love is international or she wouldn't have caught them. The initial moments of the conversation complete with sign language are something I shall remember for a long time, I thought maybe she had some mental disorder at first but we got there.

My boss has been taking Italian conversation classes, it crossed my mind to ring him. Then I thought, " Would they really cover this in Italian conversation?" If they do it puts a whole new view on Italy for me.

No comments: