Monday, October 6, 2008

More gardening

All this blogging about my garden must be getting a bit boring by now, but I couldn't resist these pictures. This is a Dainty Green Tree Frog, otherwise known as a Graceful Green Tree Frog, that I found while I was weeding. It took me about seventy shots with my camera to work out how to take a clear up close piccie because the camera kept focusing on the leaves the frog was sat on.


It really was very beautiful with a creamy white underbelly. It was also a bit of a poser it must be said, maintaining this position for a very long time until I managed to get a few good shots in. I hope this means I'm building an ecosystem in my garden, it does mean I need to get the water feature sorted out pronto with some anti-cane toad devices built in.

I live on the site where the first cane toads were released in Australia, the worlds first effort at biological pest control on a big scale. They proved an unmitigated disaster and have displaced much of the indigenous wild life, including tree frogs in many places. (Rabbits are illegal here as well, for similar reasons.)

4 comments:

Buddhist in Training said...

I love hearing about your garden! The frog is gorgeous. My naughty cats try and eat any frogs that venture into our garden, but our frogs aren't as pretty as yours anyway.

I watched Cane Toad racing when I was in Oz, do you get many in your garden?

Anonymous said...

He is beautiful! What sort of noise does he make? So much more exotic than British amphibians....

Eve said...

The noise is not as dainty as his appearance or name. A loud croaking noise designed to attract chainsaws to mate with.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to the Cane toad article and for commenting on our blog.

The problem in the UK is the destruction of wetlands which is causing toad numbers to decline. I can see the Cane toad is not having that problem, wow they are huge arent they !!!